How to become a goth?
Goths are a youth subculture that appeared in the late 1970s. This subculture came from post-punk. Gothic culture is quite diverse, but it has a number of similar features: it’s ready to unite a predilection for dark music (for example, Gothic-rock), horror literature, a peculiar way of dressing, unusual makeup. In short, the bright appearance of the goth will always allow to highlight him among the crowd. If you are still young and do not know how to become a goth at 13 or 10 years old, then read our tips and get into the gothic subculture!
How to become a goth: tips
Image. The representatives of the Gothic subculture has developed a fairly recognizable image, although the variations, of course, are diverse. For example, you can find Victorian ready-made people who wear vintage clothes, laces and wigs, or cyber-ready ones who prefer futuristic clothes of neon colors, use industrial-style accessories - welding goggles, respirators, radiation icons. Traditionally, goths prefer black clothes, wearing metal or silver (but not gold) jewelry. Piercing is welcome. Ornaments usually symbolize the Gothic subculture.For example, ankh - this symbol originated from ancient Egyptian mythology and means "life" and "immortality". Now he has become a symbol ready. Other symbols are bat, cross, pentagram. Sometimes accessories are used in the style of sado-maso: collars, spiked bracelets, latex clothing, etc. Male and female goths use special makeup, the main features of which are a white face and brightly highlighted with black shadows or eyeliner. Nails should also be painted with black or red lacquer. The hair is preferably black, but over time this cliche has departed. Now Goths can have blond, red, red and other hair. Hairstyles are usually long flowing hair in both women and men, Iroquois are also fashionable. Among the ready style is vamp.
Music. Goths are distinguished by their musical preferences:
- Gothic rock. This style of music gave birth to the gothic subculture. The following groups that worked in 70-80 years can be attributed to the gothic rock. last century: Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure, Joy Division. These are the founders of the modern Gothic scene. Some groups still exist. The sub-type of this genre is dead-rock, and its brilliant representative is the group Christian Death.
- Darkwave (darkwave) - literally "dark wave." Musical flow, which appeared in the mid 80s. It is characterized by a mixture of gothic rock, neoclassical and electronic music. The most famous representatives of this genre: Diary of Dreams, Sopor Aeternus. The idol of many is ready to him - the German team Blutengel and its permanent leader Chris Paul.
- Gothic metal. This current came from the genre of doom-metal. In the genre of gothic metal works one of the most popular groups of the gothic scene Lacrimosa, which began in the style of darkwave. Other representatives of this direction are Theater of Tragedy, Type O Negative, Tristania, Charon. One of the unusual innovations of the gothic metal is a combination of pleasant female vocals and male growling (brutal low, growling vocals). Reminds blowing "beauties and monsters."
- In recent years, there has been an infusion of industrial music. Groups began to appear in whose work Gothic music and industrial were mixed, for example, the popular project Das Ich.
- Many attribute "gothic" to representatives of other musical trends, referring to their appearance. Such a label, for example, received Marilyn Manson, HIM, Nightwish and representatives of the Japanese musical and cultural trend "visual key".
Gothic literature and cinema
Developing as a musical movement, the gothic influenced literature as well. Gothic is called the literature in the genre of romantic and mystical horrors. The most famous Gothic authors are Edgar A. Poe, Bram Stoker, Howard Lovecraft and Ann Rice. Cinema has not bypassed Gothic aesthetics with a side: The Adams Family TV series, The Hunger movie has become a landmark in this area. The most "gothic" director of our time is, of course, Tim Burton. His films “Edward Scissorhands”, “Sleepy Hollow” and the cartoon “The Nightmare Before Christmas” are popular among the Goths.
Now you know how to become a goth, but remember that in each subculture the personality itself, its originality and the ability to break stereotypes are most valued.