How to connect WiFi at home?
Watch the video
Wi-Fi (Wireless Fidelity) is a standard for transmitting data over wireless networks. If you want to know what advantages this connection has, be sure to read our article What is wifi.
In this article we will look at how to connect wifi at home in order to provide uninterrupted access to the Internet not only for desktops, but also for modern gadgets.
There are two ways to connect:
- Contact your provider. As a result, a specialist will come to your home who will bring the router and connect it. You do not have to select the model of the router and understand its settings. The quality of the equipment provided and the qualification of a specialist directly depends on the level of the provider.
- Do connect the router yourself, so as not to waste time waiting for a specialist.
As with the first option, the setting will be carried out without your intervention, we will stop at the second method.
Connect the router yourself
Let's start with connecting the router to the Internet:
- First, screw all antennas to the router - they are needed for receiving and transmitting data from the device to the router;
- Then you need to connect the router to the power grid - plug the power plug into the socket on the back of the router (usually located between the power and reset buttons), and the power supply into the wall socket;
- Preliminary work completed. Pick up an RJ-45 patchcord (supplied as a rule, it is gray) and connect it to one of the LAN ports (there are 4 identical connectors on the back panel);
- After that, you need to connect your ISP's Internet cable to the appropriate port (we plug the cable into the WAN connector);
- Press the power button and make sure that the three LEDs are on: Power, Wi-Fi and LAN. If these LEDs are on (in some models of routers, the LEDs may flash), then you have done everything correctly.
Now you need to configure the network adapter on the computer:
- Start - Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network Control Center. On the left, select the item "Change adapter settings";
- On the icon of the wireless connection, right-click and select "Properties";
- Find the protocol "TCP / IPv4".Select this item, click "Properties". In the window that opens, for all parameters set the value "Receive automatically".
If you have problems connecting, you can review the necessary settings in the article How to connect a wifi router.
After connecting all the wires to the router and setting up the network card, you need to connect to it from the computer and configure the communication parameters. As a rule, information about these settings is specified in the contract with the provider. For more information on which fields to enter settings from the contract, you can learn from the instructions How to make Wi-Fi at home.
After all these manipulations, you need to connect your personal computer or laptop to the configured Wi-Fi network. Practical advice on this topic can be found in the article How to connect Wi-Fi on a laptop.
A modern person has not only a laptop and a personal computer, but also many other devices that need to be connected to the Internet.