How to make a shelf with your own hands?
Watch the video
There are many different types of shelves, which also have different purposes. This article will look at how to make three kinds of shelves with your own hands: in the style of country, a shelf with a picture and a corner shelf. All shelf options are the easiest to install.
Shelf in the style of "Country"
All the tools you need to make this type of shelf can be purchased at a regular hardware store.
- Portable electric drill or hammer drill.
- Pencil for marking.
- Construction square or regular ruler.
- A set of drills.
- Fastening to the wall (anchor hooks).
- Ground boards and two skeins of decorative rope.
Boards can be of any width and length, but their dimensions should be the same relative to each other. The length of the ropes depends on the number of boards. The more planks, the longer the coils should be. In this example, three boards will be considered. It is desirable to choose the thickness of the rope within thirty millimeters,to make it easier to make knots. The diameter of the hooks depends on the load that will affect the shelf.
The boards will be placed one below the other and held with the help of ropes. First you need to make the layout of the boards. To do this, use the square and mark at an equal distance from each other point for drilling holes. This can be done by drawing horizontal lines on the edges of the board. Then mark the drilling points, retreating two centimeters from each edge. In total, each board will have four holes.
Upon completion of the drilling of holes, it is necessary to thread both coils of rope so that the loops above the top board are exactly relative to each other. At the top and bottom of each hole you need to make a loop for fixation. After both skeins are threaded through all the boards and all the loops are firmly tied, the ends of the ropes can be fluffed to give charm to the shelf.
Next, you need to drill two holes in the wall and fix the dowels in them, and then install anchor hooks. Hang the hinges on the anchor hooks and align the shelves. Thus, it turned out a simple regiment,which is able to withstand heavy loads. It is necessary to additionally fix each shelf with metal fasteners (corners).
Shelf with a picture
This option is also suitable for making a shelf with your own hands, followed by the installation of a photo in a frame. You will need the following tools.
- Fasteners with double-sided adhesive surface.
- Picture or photo in frame.
- A set of screws.
- Metal fasteners (corners).
- Polished board.
- Compact hammer drill.
- Construction square.
- With the help of a level and a ruler you need to mark points for drilling holes.
- Drill holes. The distance between the holes depends on the length of the shelf. If the shelf has a length of more than 20 centimeters, it is recommended to fasten it along the edges.
- Install the dowel.
- Fix the metal fasteners on the board with screws.
- Hold the shelf, fasten it with a second pair of screws.
- Using the level, glue to the wall fasteners.
- Fix the picture so that the metal fasteners are not visible. Thus, the picture will hide the shelf mounts and serve as an aesthetic element.
When choosing a painting and a shelf, it should be taken into account that their length was equal to each other, and the painting itself was not heavy. This option shelves can be supplemented by installing a decorative side.
To make a corner shelf with your own hands you will need the following:
- Chipboard sheet thickness of 6 millimeters.
- Construction Roulette.
- Markup pencil (preferably HB).
- Sandpaper, sanding attachment or sander.
- A set of screws and metal fasteners.
- First you need to take a chipboard sheet and mark a point in its center in order to describe the circle.
- Select a radius and mark it on a compass.
- Use a compass to describe a circle.
- Using the square to divide the circle into four equal parts.
- Cut the circle with the jigsaw. It is desirable to cut the top.
- Cut a circle with a hacksaw strictly along the lines drawn.
- Next you want to polish the ends of the shelf.
- Spread with construction glue on the ends and fix the shelf.
- For additional fixing, you should fix the shelf on the wall with metal fasteners and screws.
This procedure (points 7, 8 and 9) must be done for each shelf. Make a similar option shelves with your own hands, you can use this.