How to put a dog to sleep?
Animals are an integral part of our life, and soon they become members of our family. The lifespan of dogs, cats, birds or rodents is much less than the lifespan of a person. And therefore it is necessary to understand that sooner or later you will have to face the loss of an animal. And even worse, when you need to make a decision regarding sleep.
Why is this solution necessary? It often happens that at the twilight of his age, the animal begins to get very sick. In such cases, the pet is already beginning to suffer, and not live.
How to find out that the dog is sick
You as the owner should know how to recognize that the dog is not feeling well.
First of all, you will notice the unusual behavior of the dog. The characteristic signs that the dog is feeling pain are the following:
- excessive activity of the dog or, conversely, apathy;
- poor appetite, the dog does not want to eat anything;
- the dog began to sleep more than usual, moves a little;
- external manifestation of the disease - blisters, open wounds, hair loss and so on;
- the dog whines or barks for no reason;
- periodic bouts of rapid breathing.
Of course, if you notice several of these symptoms, then first of all you need to show the dog to the doctor. It is not necessary to engage in self-treatment and to make hasty conclusions that the dog is dying, too. Show the animal to the vet. Let the doctor determine the nature of the symptoms you have noticed and diagnose.
Further, if the veterinarian claims that the dog’s illness is incurable or that it is just old age, he will most likely advise putting the animal to sleep to save it from suffering.
You must understand that this action can be justified only if the animal really suffers or if it received injuries that are not compatible with life.
You can read about the symptoms of decay of life in the article How dogs die.
How is the procedure of sleeping the dog
- The dog is injected with an injection that is used for anesthesia. This substance is introduced in order to immerse the animal in a deep restful sleep, relax muscles and disable pain reflexes. The dog just falls asleep deeply and does not feel anything that happens next.
- Next, a second injection is introduced, which stops the heart and respiration of the animal.
Pay attention to the need to very accurately calculate the dosage of drugs. If you decide to do it at home, then consult with doctors who know how to comply with the dosage. If calculated incorrectly, the animal will die in agony. It is better, of course, to entrust this procedure to medical specialists. Firstly, you may not have enough knowledge and experience, and secondly, you need to be a very brave person to pass this test yourself.
There are a lot of discussions about drugs that put animals to sleep. In ordinary veterinary clinics, in order for the animal to fall asleep at first, Rometar, Zoletil, and Vetranquil are usually used - these are drugs designed to immerse the dog in a deep sleep. For direct euthanasia is used the drug "Ditilin", as well as "Clostenon". They block the work of the respiratory tract of the animal. But, of course, it is necessary to work it out only after the conviction that the animal is deeply and soundly sleeping.
Where to lull a dog
As for where to carry out the procedure of putting a dog to sleep, it should be said that one should be careful here. Today they are doing business on it.In the newspapers you can find a lot of ads offering services for the lulling of animals. We do not recommend to contact such "firms". Often this is done by inept people or even fraudsters. There are cases when the dog miraculously resurrected after sleep. You can imagine the terrible consequences of this.
It is best to go to a veterinary clinic with a good reputation, where everything is done by experienced professionals.
There is also a temporary sleep procedure. It is used if:
- it is necessary to perform any manipulations or simple operations with the dog (for example, pull out a tick, remove tartar, make an x-ray);
- the dog must be transported to another place;
- the dog is afraid of people and does not want to approach,
and for some other reason.
You can use the drug "Vetrankvil" or "Rometar." It is important to know the dosage, otherwise the animal will fall asleep and will not wake up. In general, it is best to consult a doctor or at least consult how much the drug should be used in order for an animal to fall asleep for 15-20 minutes or for a longer time - a couple of hours (for transportation, for example).
Remember that even conducting a procedure for a temporary sleep, you risk losing your pet, so think about it ten times before taking this step.