Pinch of the sciatic nerve: the essence of pathology and the principles of therapy
The pinch of the sciatic nerve is also called sciatica. This is a pathological condition that develops in the compression or irritation of the nerve endings that form the sciatic nerve.
The zone of damage is lumbosacralDepartment of the spinal column. With any degenerative processes in this area, painful syndrome in the lower limbs arises, and a characteristic feature is that the disturbances are manifested only in one leg.
Etiology of the disease
Among the main causes that lead to this disease, we can name the following:
• hernia of intervertebral discs in the lumbar region;
• Stenosis of the spinal canal in the lower back;
• spondylolisthesis - a pathology in which one of the vertebrae of the waist is displaced and jams the nerve roots;
• pear-shaped muscle syndrome - manifested by irritation or stretching of the sciatic nerve;
• Violations in the work of the sacroiliac joint, which provoke irritation of the fifth nerve end in the lumbar region;
The pinch of the sciatic nerve can alsoobserved in the presence of tumors, thrombi, abscesses, in the infectious process in the pelvis, fibromyalgia, as well as with Lyme and Reiter's syndrome, so treatment of this pathology can be carried out after a careful examination of the patient, which allows to identify the true cause of patients' complaints.
For this purpose, X-ray examination, radioisotope scanning of the spine is performed. It is also necessary to carry out a neurological examination of patients.
The pinch of the sciatic nerve is manifested by the following symptoms:
• pain that is localized in the sacrum andpasses to the buttocks, thigh and lower leg, and also descends to the foot. The pain syndrome is quite intense, intensified with the slightest movement, in some cases becomes unbearable;
• a violation of the sensitivity of skin in the form of pricking, a burning sensation or cold, and also numbness or "crawling";
• weakness of the buttocks, thighs and lower legs;
• violation of the motor function of the lower limb, when the patient can not move his foot or change the position of the trunk.
Treatment of sciatica
Pinch of the sciatic nerve is treated with medication. Anesthetics and anti-inflammatory drugs are prescribed, which can be administered epidurally. Positive effect is given by methods of physiotherapy. UHF-therapy, electrophoresis, paraffin applications and magnetotherapy are carried out. Sciatic nerve massage allows to reduce spasm of muscles, which facilitates the release of jammed nerves.
In the treatment of this pathology, folkmedicine. Treatment of the sciatic nerve, including the use of tincture of red pepper or garlic for rubbing the affected area, as well as various plants, such as barberry, which are used to prepare funds for oral administration. It should be remembered that any folk remedy should be used only after consulting a doctor.