Steering Rack and Repair
To organize the rotation of the car usedsteering rack. It is included in the steering mechanism with both timing and without it. The role of the steering rack is very important: it connects the wheels and the steering wheel, which facilitates safe movement on the car. Diagnosis and repair of the steering rack is a very responsible and serious matter.
No matter what kind of car you have(expensive or not), the wear of the steering gear parts is much faster than the wear of other units and assemblies. The fact is that the first parts of the steering system of the car are perceived by all when striking at obstacles. So, the steering rack first perceives blows during a run-around to potholes.
Clear signs that the steering mechanism needs repairs are:
- Feeling through the steering wheel of a car, a knock in the steering rack;
- the need to exert great effort while rotating the steering wheel;
- when the power steering pump is running, there are extraneous sounds and noise;
- when the steering wheel rotates - the appearance of backlash of the steering rack;
- leakage of timing oil.
If you find at least one of yourthe above-mentioned problems, immediately proceed to repair the steering mechanism of the car, otherwise it may become unusable, and no repairs will not help.
Repairing the steering rack with your own hands is a veryresponsible, you can do this only if you have the necessary knowledge and equipment. Otherwise, it is better to turn to professionals.
It is necessary to know that the mechanism of the steering river consists of: a toothed shaft, a support sleeve of the steering rack, a spool mechanism. Proceeding from this, the stages of repair of the steering rack include:
- dismantling of the mechanism and cleaning of all its parts from contamination;
- replacement of damaged parts with new ones;
- diagnostics of the rack pinion.
Before proceeding with the dismantling, be sureThe fact that you have all the repair kits: oil seals, sealing rings, steering rack bush, etc. For more convenience, the steering rack can be dismounted together with the rods, as it is much more convenient to put on new anthers on the tie rods.
How to understand the steering rack? The actions are as follows:
1) using a special flat screwdriver, unscrew the rail from the steering rods;
2) unscrew the lower plastic plug of the toothed shaft;
3) unscrew the lock nut;
4) remove the lock ring and carefully knock out the shaft;
5) we take out the bottom epiploon;
6) tap, thereby extracting the lower pin, which blocks the upper gland;
7) turn the locking stopper until the wire appears, then, pulling it, we get the lock ring;
8) through the right side we get the steering rack, we remove from it the plastic bush and the stuffing box;
9) we take out an epiploon, заглушку, a spring and the clamping mechanism.
After this, it is necessary to thoroughly wash andclean all parts from dirt and oil, after which you can inspect them for damage. Damaged parts must be replaced. If there are significant defects in the gear wheel or the surface of the steering rack, the whole mechanism must be replaced at once.
After carrying out all the necessary procedures forrepair of the steering rack, you must carefully assemble it and install it in place. Remember, adjusting the steering rack and repairing it is a complicated process, which is better to entrust to professionals.